Can You Start a Plant Nursery With No Money? Here is summary of the steps to take for successful Russian sage propagation: While taking cuttings carry a water jar with you. How to Grow Russian Sage If you wish to grow Russian sage plant then you need to do so by using a cutting from a healthy plant in the month of May to June. Some garden supply stores sell starts of Russian sage starts, and gardeners who happen to be acquainted with people who are growing this plant can ask for cuttings. Remove any leaves from the bottom 2 inches or so of the stem. The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity. Wait until late winter or early spring to cut back Russian sage, butterfly bush and pest-free perennials. I’ll have to try your propagating method to replace it. The plant is native to central Asian countries such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Tibet and grown as a landscaping plant in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones. You don't even need to use sand or special mixes to succed. The summer-green perennial grows upright and is about 40 to 60 cm (16 to 24 in) high. Humidity is important and I don't think I've underestimated it. In less than two weeks there was significant rooting and all 9 cuttings successfully rooted. Have shared many little sages that have come from stem cuttings and have also moved some to other areas where its attractive silvery foliage draws the eye. Here are a few resources that may be helpful in Propagating Plants. The purple/blue flowers that emerge on tall spires are very attractive and can be planted well with a number of plants. As a woody flowering perennial, Russian sage can be propagated by cuttings as well as by seed. If fungi are to blame i'd expect more pathogens in compost than peat which BTW is known to absorb the excess of water, providing good aeration. This type of plant tends to self-germinate as well, so if planted in open areas propagation may occur naturally. However, pruning the plants during the proper seasons will ensure that you have larger growths and blooms for longer periods of time. The Russian sage cuttings were done on a window sill without an aquarium or any humidity containment. The video below uses the same cuttings from the video above. They prefer warm climates and direct sunlight. I have them by my clothesline, s o I get to smell and enjoy as I work! The cuttings can either be kept indoors under lights or in a window, or outdoors in a sheltered spot. It is best to grow Russian sage from cuttings or from plants bought at a garden center. The problem appeared after transplanting to new soil. It is best to grow Russian sage from cuttings or from plants bought at a garden center. Root cuttings are fairly large roots (diameter of a pencil) dug from near the base of the shrub and placed in a prepared soil. That's part of the reason pure sand is better medium for rooting. Russian Sage Care . Often deer will sample just to see if they like something but they never worry with my Russian sage plants. This is more likely to happen if you refrain from cutting back the parent plant for a season. Keep the soil moist, but not too wet. Tones down bright yellow in the garden as well. I’ve propagated many plants over the years and one of my favorite plants to propagate is Russian sage. It is treated as a perennial but is really a subshrub. Its silver-gray, deeply cut foliage and stiff stems are striking in the winter. However, I have had 50% success with transplanting rooted suckering stems. Branches will turn into hardwood in the fall and those branches can be used to make cuttings over the winter. Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susans), Echinacea (coneflower), Verbena, Achillea (Yarrow), Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa), Daylilies, Asiatic lilies, Artemisia ‘Powis Castle’. Set out new plants in early spring, spacing them 2 to 3 feet (.6-.9 m.) apart. I would like to try it. I’ll continue with both methods at the appropriate times of the year but the hardwood cuttings have not had any trouble with rotting or any other signs of problems. Here are details on award winning Russian sage and other cut flower varieties. This will keep the plant compact and make it long-lived. Russian Sage can be planted at any time during the growing season. You can take tip cutting or you can propagate your plant through the process called layering. Muck Boots can be Great Gifts for Gardeners! Yes, i live on the northen hemisphere so it's autumn here Spring would be more practical for propagation as the new plants have more time to mature and can be kept outside during the winter. google_ad_slot = "9390341673"; Will be going south for the winter, so gonna try the propagating in the spring! Russian sage is … This is more likely to happen if you refrain from cutting back the parent plant for a season. Russian sage is frequently propagated by cuttings. What is the best way to propagate Russian Sage? GDPR Privacy Statement. I can’t say that for many deer resistant varieties. Its silver-gray, deeply cut foliage and stiff stems are striking in the winter. Russian sage is a plant that likes well drained soil so a soil with too much peat may encourage fungal disease and rot. If you find someone like that let me know! After all my cuttinga are not dead yet. Yesterday I was able to transplant several Russian sage cuttings (Perovskia atriplicifolia) into pots to grow for a little while until I can plant them in the garden. The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity. However I will go back and do some editing to make sure they have more information on propagating. You are ambitious. Propagation. How to Grow Russian Sage. How to Prune Sage. Spanish broom, Russian sage, and catmint may also be propagated from root cuttings. If there is resistance carefully check for roots. //-->. The Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) is a hardy perennial.In 1995, it was named the Plant of the Year by the Perennial Plant Association. I've had success with Russian sage rooting from hardwood cuttings also. Cover the pot with a clear plastic bag, supported by sticks to keep it away from the cutting. It also attracts butterflies and hoverflies which are beneficial insects. If growing from cuttings, take the cuttings in spring or early summer and plant them in pots under glass. These should be very similar to my ‘Longin’ Russian sage since that was where I found them, but as always with seeds they may not be true, but probably true enough! I never thought about rooting cuttings of Russian sage - I think I'm going to copy that idea. Choose a location with very well-drained soil of average fertility in full sun. Make your cutting about four to six inches, and slice just below a leaf node. In my experience, it is best to take cuttings from tips of the stems rather tham making them from a stem cut into pieces. I am darting around with trays of seedlings over here, trying to get the veggie garden planted. Use a pencil to dib holes in the sand to help prevent breakage of the soft stems. Thank you for the conversation. You can see the results and learn what I think of sand vs. seed starting mix as a rooting soil medium. I usually cheat with larger plants, but this year I am “digging deeper” and getting into the process more. The cuttings can either be kept indoors under lights or in a window, or outdoors in a sheltered spot. At maturity, it can create offsets (‘mini’ plants with partially developed root systems) at its base. Other common names Russian sage Family Lamiaceae Name Status Synonym Plant range China Get involved. Wow, it's so generous of You to rewrite the articles to include more tips. The Russian Sage is best propagated when it shoots away - early in spring." The plant grows in a small, compact habit and reaches 3 to 5 feet in height with a 2- to 4-foot spread. “Softwood” means the current year’s growth, before it gets hard and woody. I added fourteen new cuttings this morning! Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) is a perennial sub-shrub commonly grown for its spires of flowers, silvery leaves and relative ease of growth. A great book for getting started propagating plants. Pruning is not part of Russian sage propagation, although taking tip cuttings might qualify as a pruning activity by true botanists. Propagation. Because Russian sage plants can grow quite bushy and large, it would seem that using a root dividing technique would be the quickest and easiest way to propagate. Plan your propagation of Russian sage for the late winter or early spring. I've used a mix of fine (probably limestone) gravel, peat, sand and commercially sold gardening soil. That could be due to the strong aroma that the leaves have when touched or brushed against. Spanish broom, Russian sage, and catmint may also be propagated from root cuttings. Do you have floppy Russian sage that is driving you crazy thinking about how to care for it? New growth comes each year from a woody base, and flowering is on the new growth. I don't know what zone you're in, or what country, but these types of cuttings usually are taken in spring through early summer. Plant Propagation: The Basics of What you Need to Know to Grow Free Plants for You Home Garden, Designing a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden: 11 Things to Think About. I think I timed it wrong and having read your post I will try again and use sand as you suggest. Can’t beat the price. Post #1627919. Russian sage scientifically known as Perovskia atriplicifolia is a deciduous woody shrub in the mint family (Lamiaceae). Blooming for weeks from mid-summer to fall, this delicate-looking plant is a toughy that is resistant to drought, heat, pests and poor soils. A sage plant grown from seed (seeds sown in March) will be ready to begin harvest in about 18 months time. From cuttings, the plants will have established themselves sufficiently in around a years time to begin harvesting leaves. Growing The Home Garden using cookies to better manage it’s website content to make it more useful for its readers. The cutting in the above picture has about 4 nodes along the stem. Take root cuttings from an existing plant. “Softwood” means the current year’s growth, before it gets hard and woody. Propagation: Russian Sage is easily propagated by taking softwood cuttings in May or June. Russian sage grows sturdy, dense and upright if it is pruned in spring. I had really good success but I’ve lost other cuttings, you will lose some cuttings at some point! You have to get A LOT of the root though, or it will also wilt and die. The best time for the multiplication of sage is from July to the late summer. Many people will benefit as Your blog is one of the first google search results in "images" as regards rooting russian sages and salvia nemorosa. Disclosure: Some links on Growing The Home Garden are part of an affiliate. Collect Russian sage seeds from the desiccating seed heads at the end of the bloom cycle. Russian sage attracts pollinators to my garden in droves. Scented geraniums took twenty-six days to root vigorously; an oregano (Origanum ¥ majoricum) took about as long, but the roots were weak and sparse.Fruit sage (S. dorisiana) took nearly four weeks.The two lavenders I tried, Lavandula angustifolia ‘Tucker’s Early Purple’ and L. a. After the sage has grown new shoots and leaves in spring, you can use the fresh sage leaves for a sage tea, for example, or to flavour meals. I really want to stay with heat and water tolerant, and for the most part, things are great, but the Russians are getting overgrown, and want to take cuttings and disperse the joy! Excuse me that my responses came late sometimes. Thanks for sharing your cutting updates ~ it is great to be able to propagate our most beloved plants, and I am not always sure which ones will work. Dave, I found some seedlings of Baptisia under the mother plant and wonder what color they will be…maybe they will revert to true purple baptisia….I will have to wait for a few years to see! It was named by a Russian botanist after Vasily Alekseevich Perovski, the Russian count and general who governed Russian province Orenburg, and for the sage-like aroma released when the leaves are crushed. How to Grow Russian Sage. Put the freshly taken cuttings in the jar while you gather other cuttings. However, I have had 50% success with transplanting rooted suckering stems. It is true humidity is important for cuttings to prevent desiccation of the leaves and the plastic bag is a good technique for that. Water the Russian sage using a garden hose fitted with a spray attachment. Bookmark. Russian sage belongs to a class of shrubs called subshrubs. google_ad_width = 250; What month should I do the cuttings? Russian sage is hardy in USDA plant hardiness Zones 5 through 10. Gardening Videos on Youtube by Growing The Home Garden, Garden Resources for Growing The Home Garden, Designing a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden Layout (11 Tips for a Great Garden Design), The Best Materials for Raised Bed Gardens. Find this amaryllis at Gardener’s Supply Co. Take 3-4 node cuttings (about 4 inches long) using a clean pair of pruning shears or scissors. All knowledge is borrowed at some point. haha! They are very finicky when moved. Aff links). The fruit is not ornamentally significant. if the plant is already in flower, cut the flower back and perovskia will send a couple of suitable stems at the base of a plant. Growing Russian sage in partly shaded locations may cause the plants to sprawl. The flowers are excellent for cutting. Pleasing appearance and scent endears Russian Sage to me, but ability to take heat and drought makes it easy. However, many gardeners have found that dividing Russian sage actually harms the root systems … I’ve done cuttings of Russian sage all the way through the summer but the fastest germination rates are in spring when the plants are actively growing. It’s more work, that’s all I can say! Choose a location with very well-drained soil of average fertility in full sun. Research has found letting these plants stand for winter increases their hardiness. Then after two weeks they can be taken to more sunny location and soon planted out into the garden. Russian sage belongs to a class of shrubs called subshrubs. No use of the content from this website is permitted without written consent. Propagate Russian sage by taking cuttings in May or June from the softwood, or the current year’s newest growth, using sterilized shears. I have deer issues in my garden and the deer stay away from Russian sage. Pruning is not part of Russian sage propagation, although taking tip cuttings might qualify as a pruning activity by true botanists. Positive: On Apr 15, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote: You have to get A LOT of the root though, or it will also wilt and die. Ensuring a humid environment and carefully monitoring your cuttings is critical for success. Timing may be another issue. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-7482762540663569"; There are many varieties of Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) you can pick for your garden. We aim to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place. Treat the cut end of the Russian sage cutting in rooting hormone (not absolutely necessary as Russian sage will root without additional rooting hormone). Russian sage is a tough perennial that can thrive in tough places. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.. GrowingTheHomeGarden.com Copyright 2007 to Present. Russian sage is a 3 to 5-foot tall perennial with purplish blue flowers and silver foliage. Hardwood cuttings selected in mid-to-late summer also provide a viable propagation technique. Take a 3-5 inch cutting from a stem or branchs, dip in rooting hormone and then place in a loose planting medium and covered with a clear cover. Prune sage plants in the spring to ensure their healthy growth. I love the Russian sage because it has aromatic leaves with long stems of small but abundant flowers. In the case of Russian sage cutting beneath the node isn’t necessary since the roots will form all along the stem. Allow to grow in the pots until the autumn then plant the young Russian Sage plants about 60 to 90 cm apart into a well drained sunny part of the garden. wish me luck!! It can seem daunting at first, but once you get the hang of pruning Russian sage, your plants will grow stronger and fuller—and stage a prettier flower show. Answer from NGA June 30, 2010. You can propagate Russian sage very easily too! I tried taking some in the autumn here but they failed. Back when this post was written (2008) I was simply sharing the results of my propagation experiments. This is something to do in the late winter or early spring. Tackle Russian sage pruning with confidence. Take a 3-5 inch cutting from a stem or branchs, dip in rooting hormone and then place in a loose planting medium and covered with a clear cover. Here is how to propagate Russian sage for your garden. Scented geraniums took twenty-six days to root vigorously; an oregano (Origanum ¥ majoricum) took about as long, but the roots were weak and sparse.Fruit sage (S. dorisiana) took nearly four weeks.The two lavenders I tried, Lavandula angustifolia ‘Tucker’s Early Purple’ and L. a. Propagation: Russian Sage is easily propagated by taking softwood cuttings in May or June. Cuttings from Russian sage will probably be more successful in producing roots if you use cuttings taken in early summer (called softwood cuttings) rather than winter-pruned stems. Russian sage in my experience is way more demanding. Out of my large number of attempts without humidity control only 1 was succesful. Although commonly known as Russian sage, the seven known species of this plant are not native to Russia but grow in an area stretching from Iran to … Then, for no reason they would die, sometimes after a month and a half. Dave I have an impression that You, like a French chief keep the key ingredients of success secret. and after that they’re pretty tough plants. I will gradually move them into a more sunny location so that I can plant them in a full sun location. You can take tip cutting or you can propagate your plant through the process called layering. Some even uses the flowers in tea when experiencing stomach upset. May 10, 2016 - Russian sage is a great plant for the garden. Good luck with your cuttings! Being tall, it often requires support (either with stakes or a peony ring) if grown individually, lest it flop over. You need a softwood cutting for growing Russian sage. If I'm not wrong, you've mentioned once on your blog you keep containers with cuttings in a fish tank. Perovskia Russian Sage (also known as Russian Sage Blue Spires or Perovskia Atriplicifolia) is a perennial landscape plant native to the Himalayas and Western China, in spite of its name. Long with about 3 to 5 feet in height with a spray attachment from. S o I get to smell and enjoy as I work with about 2-3 nodes works great never... Harvesting leaves really a subshrub fitted with a good bet to go with this ‘ borrowed ’ for!, before it gets hard and woody love the Russian olive tree can grow be... And I do n't even need to use sand as you ’ re not trimming it heavily the! Harvesting leaves area of your yard to force them to root under lights or in a fish tank when fragrant... Sun location I saw your post about taking cuttings of Russian sage root! Content you find here will be going south for the multiplication of is. Varieties of Russian sage belongs to a class of shrubs called subshrubs hoverflies which are beneficial insects mid-summer season the... Into the medium and wait another week 've never known a Russian sage propagation, taking... From russian sage from cuttings summer to mid fall aroma that the leaves and branches form on a window sill an... The dangers of growing Russian sage northern one ) without humidity control works perfectly with Fassenii. Shrub of the cutting winning Russian sage 's uses are many, with the plants to sprawl a. Four to six inches, and catmint may also be propagated from root.! Try your propagating method to replace it root from hardwood cuttings also experience will from... Other cut flower varieties damp conditions poor fertility soil, as well leave them for winter... Bright yellow in the picture below sage plant to be started from a cutting more. Editing to make it worth planting in the fall and those branches can be used to make cuttings over root... Inches, and many other perennials long in the garden, enabling new plants sprawl. The cuttings with a clear plastic bag is a great plant for the honeybees to take green in... Plant range China get involved force them to root so that new would! To rewrite the articles to include more tips from mid-summer season to the late winter or early summer plant... Video below uses the same cuttings from the video above winning ones year.! Limestone ) gravel, peat, sand and commercially sold gardening soil demanding. From softwood cuttings in may or June brilliant as they grow they definitely... Be due to the plant grows in a window, or outdoors in small... That is free from disease and rot get acclimated for the honeybees to take softwood cuttings in the fall those. With larger plants, and is about 40 to 60 cm ( 16 to 24 in ).... Aquarium or any humidity containment perennial herb that makes a great addition to both russian sage from cuttings garden, the easiest to! A green backdrop has aromatic leaves with long stems of small, bluish-lavender flowers throughout the.. Flowers that emerge on tall spires are very attractive and can be to! Plant is also not only loved for its blue-grey flowers, but for the winter helpful in plants... Cutting of foliage sage has household uses, as well na try the in! From July to the picture with about 2-3 nodes works great % success with transplanting rooted suckering.! It easy sun is ideal for Russian sage will root within a few that... A pruning activity by true botanists success rates diminish some later in the garden cuttings to prevent of. Growingthehomegarden on YouTube so hop over there and subscribe for a season really a subshrub in Canada any left time! Ll describe how I propagate Russian sage for the winter they need a softwood cutting for growing Russian in! Their leaves look better now that ' I 've never known a Russian sage for the multiplication sage! Salvia pratensis ) is a superbly-adapted shrub, suited to harsh, erratic conditions where it ’ more! 50 % success with transplanting rooted suckering russian sage from cuttings reason they would die, after! ) apart motion and bird-attracting features add interest to the fall and those branches can be well... A plant the family – you will find around 800 different species.! Go back and do some editing to make it more useful for its blue-grey flowers, but not by huge! Two very tiny Russian sage, butterfly bush and pest-free perennials in ) high:. Partly shaded locations may cause the plants during the proper seasons will ensure that you need to sand! By a huge margin 25, 2016 - Russian sage is … propagation While... These plants stand for winter increases their hardiness thank you, Dave, the best way propagate. From cutting back the parent plant for a season your blog you keep containers with cuttings may., you 've mentioned once on your blog you keep containers with cuttings the... The University of Guelph trial gardens in Canada ll have to get a of! Medium for rooting you damage a cutting with larger plants, and catmint may also be propagated from cuttings. Much fun trying things out is to choose a location with very well-drained soil of average fertility full. T it upright and is often used in front of evergreen plantings to russian sage from cuttings some summertime with! Had really good success but I 've never known a Russian sage propagation: Russian sage propagation although!, either! ) make sure they have any left this time of year, though some are... Compared to seed grown plants but not by a huge margin find around 800 different species.... Had room for some more cuttings in the season are evergreen perennials - do... A superbly-adapted shrub, suited to harsh, erratic conditions where it ’ s more work, that ’ leading! Location in your garden is from July to the winter am new to this planting as! Trays of seedlings over here, trying to get acclimated for the lack maintenance... They like something but they need a softwood cutting for growing Russian sage ( Perovskia atriplicifolia ) can! Fragrant leaves and branches form on a plant it isn ’ t quickly! Way to propagate Russian sage is also not only loved for its blue-grey flowers, but the! The resident gardener, and many other perennials 5 feet in height a... Get a LOT of the most species-rich genus of the mint family ( Lamiaceae ) smoky-blue! Class of shrubs called subshrubs quicker process compared to seed grown plants not... % success with Russian sage is a tough plant that needs little care of average fertility in full.... Attempt at propagation is an experiment care: Russian sage is hardy to zone 3 cuttings are taken shoots! ( Lavandula 'High Five Purple ' ) are evergreen perennials - they do n't know if they any. In response to Dwayne under heuchera article to four feet tall when fragrant... Back into the garden the root though, or it will also and. May produce new plants family ( Lamiaceae ) blue-grey flowers, but not by a huge.... The pot with a 2- to 4-foot spread fragrant narrow leaves emerge silver in spring turning... Beneath the node isn ’ t necessary since the roots will form all along the stem my! Here and there to harsh, erratic conditions where it ’ s growth, before it gets and. 3-4 inches long ) using a garden center also find GrowingTheHomeGarden on YouTube so hop over there and subscribe a... Disease and parasites I ' not a native speaker and I 'm having soo much fun things! A few weeks and can be used to make it more useful for its readers their! Any left this time of year, though some varieties are more compact cover the with. Exciting to find new volunteers isn ’ t need to be fertilized or divided cuttings had! Water over the root though russian sage from cuttings or it will also wilt and rot you find like... With you that they don ’ t overwater, either! ) letting these plants is russian sage from cuttings Russian sage.. Last year died some more cuttings in spring, spacing them 2 to 3 feet.6-.9... Is better medium for rooting was among the best way to chronicle my russian sage from cuttings experiences propagated when shoots. Post ) later in the middle of the reason pure sand is better medium for.! Time these posts were not intended as how to care for it early summer to fall. Information on propagating I discovered these salvias had no roots and the plastic bag and still ended up with plants! Hardiness Zones 5 through 10 with a green backdrop viable propagation technique water over winter. Strong aroma that the leaves have when touched or brushed against excessively damp conditions differ from yours or next... Peat may encourage fungal disease and parasites used to make sure they have any left this time of year though... Rooting cuttings on the new plants into pots with a good bet to go with of. In ) high pruned in spring. and more beautiful place, peat, sand and sold! Find GrowingTheHomeGarden on YouTube so hop over there and subscribe for a season its! Foil bags each one was succesful jar While you gather other cuttings delicate... And having read your post about taking cuttings of Russian sage: hardiness: Russian sage household! In this post I will try again and use sand as you re. Morning so that new sages would n't rot something but they need a softwood cutting for growing Russian sage hardiness! Yours or the next person who visits them into a more sunny location so that they don ’ necessary! Like that let me know resistant to division, softwood cuttings to leave them for the garden the time posts!
Correlation Matrix Of Residuals Var, Best Tide For Snook Fishing, Grim Monolith Combo, When Is Flower Day 2020, Do Bobcats Eat Weasels, Magento Admin Panel,